I have always been a reader, for as long as I can remember. It seems like since the time I learned to read I have perpetually had my nose stuck in a book. Writing has always been my hobby-on-the-side, something I would put up on a shelf and come back to when the time felt right. But reading was constant. And then this spring I got so swept up in writing that it seemed like the only thing that mattered. Like a good book, I couldn’t step away.
I am finally out of my reading drought and it feels so good! In honor of getting my nose back in a book, here are five books I almost didn’t read:
1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak – The idea of the story being narrated by death just seemed odd to me. So glad I went for it!
2. Bossypants by Tina Fey – I ended up listening to the audiobook on a road trip and loved it! It was laugh out loud funny!
3. Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – I tend to choose books that are based in modern or historical reality. This was a stretch for me but once I started I could not put it down!
4. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen – Recently a friend and I were discussing this book. She mentioned being turned off by the circus aspect and I agreed. Almost couldn’t get past it, but ultimately enjoyed this one!
5. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James – I had never read anything like it before, but ultimately the hype got me. It ended up opening up my eyes to a whole new genre and more books to read is always a good thing.
What about you? What books did you almost not read? I’d love to add them to my growing TBR list!