1. I do not write chronologically. Sometimes if I am feeling tired of a certain section or particularly uninspired I will even use a random number generator to decide which chapter to work through next. Other times I go back to my favorite parts of the story just because they are the most fun to work on.
2. I absorb into the writing process, sometimes too fully. When I’m working on a sad or depressing part of the story, it will sometimes seep into my daily life. I started working on those parts when my husband is not around so he doesn’t see me in that state of mind and ask me if I’m feeling alright. (Yes honey, it’s just the book I swear!)
3. I put pieces of myself in my characters: my passion for music, good wine, and dessert!
4. I do my best writing first thing in the morning, with a fresh cup of coffee. There is usually a pet in the near vicinity too (because they never really stay away!).
5. In writing Calm Like Home, I wanted to stay true to the male voice so all the love notes included in the story are based on ones I received from my husband.